Year-End Favorites // 2014

Happy Holidays, my dears.


I figured to wrap up a long, strenuous, horrifying, beautiful year, I would give you a (not at all) succinct list of my favorite things from the winter season. I'm expecting it to flow organically out of me in a ramble, as usual. Let's bust this out.


It's been a weird, experimental Autumn/Winter for me. I was always towing the line between a miserably dark, bruised up smoky eye and the vivid sharpness of a vintage bombshell. More often than not, I went out with not much on at all. When I did, though...
Urban Decay Naked Skin Foundation // I came into this fall with the specter of a beautiful tan, which is the sole reason why I could still wear this foundation. It's otherwise much too dark for my PNW pallor. This stuff (when applied over an amply moisturized face) gives a really lovely demi-matte finish, and enough coverage to get me through the day without worrying what has managed to rear an ugly head. It also survives heavy rain surprisingly well, I'm happy to report.
Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick in Mrs. Mia Wallace // This was in a lipstick post not too long ago, and for good reason. This stuff has monumental staying power, and has survived a finals-week day through three lattes, a very chatty group presentation, and an entire three rolls of sushi with nary a smudge. The pigment is dense and blue toned like not-quite-freshly-drawn blood, and that is exactly the kind of vividly terrifying red that I want on my mouth at all times.
Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm in Sultry // To cut my cravings for Gerard 1995, I decided to spring for a more affordable brown-nude, and damn am I glad I stumbled upon this one. It's more pink than brown, to be truthful, but it does wonders for my skin tone. When I'm working all sorts of magic on my eyes with copper and rose gold, this brings a really rich, decadent warmth into the palette that a regular nude can't. It's pigmented as all hell, and despite being matte, doesn't sap my lips of all moisture. Does it get better?
L'Oreal Infallible 24 Hour Eyeshadow in Amber Rush // Speaking of rose gold; the 24 hour claim can kiss my sweet ass. It doesn't last without creasing, especially if there's any moisture in the air. That fact aside, this shade is truly, truly beautiful. A vivid split between copper and rose gold, it sits so beautifully against my blue eyes, and whenever I pair this with a rich brown or plum liner, the results are unstoppable, so long as you top it with something or at least border it in mattes.


My skin went through a weird flux this Autumn/Winter. It managed to be at some times horrendously bad, and at other times iridescent-angel, kissed-by-the-gods-of-youth, ovulating-forever good. Very little in between, very little time to adjust. When I could, though, I managed to cling to a few staples.
Boots Botanics All Bright Gentle Cleansing Cream // I will generally use this little guy to take off my makeup at the end of a long day. It's been a much less congestive version of the Garnier Plus cleansing oil that I had grown so used to using. Sometimes, if the makeup day is heavy, I will need to cleanse with it twice, but generally it does a mighty fine job.
Heritage Rosewater and Glycerin Spray // I like to tone with this because it offers just enough brightness and moisture to precede my actual moisturizer, and works as a pretty good substitute on days when I don't have enough time to dick around and lolly-gag for fifteen minutes for my heavy duty creams to sink in. Also, it smells nice. Bonus points when sprayed on your chest and collar to give a nice glow to exposed skin.
Thayers Rosewater Witch Hazel Toner // Rosewater is a big deal, apparently. It treats my skin beautifully well, and sucks all the nasty skin heathens brewing in my pores right out. It doesn't dry me out too much, and I think the rosewater has something to do with that counteraction. I don't use it every day, and when I do, I use it mostly in the morning to cleanse myself of all the nighttime grease I've been soaking in. Gross? Yeah. Real? Very much.


All the weird stuff that happened to my face managed to happen to my body, too. I'm a firm believer, however, that a moisturized, fragranced body is a happy body, and that turning your head on a cool November morning to rediscover wafts of your self-care is nourishing and beautiful. Here's what I used to fulfill that purpose.
Cashmere Glow Ultra Shea Body Cream // Bath and Body Works has long-been my financial drain and ultimate shame. My mother so graciously sent me this body cream just as the temperature started to dip unpleasantly low, and it has effectively silkened my suffering winter skin. The notes are warm at the base (Vanilla musk and sandalwood), but ripened with some of my favorite fruits (peach, apricot) and flowers (jasmine, peony). It's my favorite scent from the entire Bath and Body Works collection, surmounting even my long-dead forever loved Dark Kiss. RIP, sweet prince.
LUSH Rose Jam Shower Gel // Good gracious this sates my every floral need. It is deliciously potent, (and filled every last air molecule of the home I stayed in over thanksgiving break), and the scent stays on my skin absolutely all day. Also, it's gentle enough not to aggravate my body piercings. I'm too cheap to buy the huge bottle, and as of Christmas Day it's gone until next holiday season. Until we meet again, my love.
Tokyomilk La Vie La Mort EDP // I wrote an entire spotlight post on this beauty! Long story short, it's powerful, spicy, ethereal, and matches perfectly with all the cable knits and satin I've been wrapping myself in this winter. If you want to read that post, click right here, little bug.


I've been burning through absolute tons of Robert Jordan this season. He has managed to fill up every empty corner of my free days with wonder. I can't even conceive my life without the Wheel of Time, at this point, and I am only barely a third of the way through the series. Compelling, complex world-building is amplified by the most beautifully human characters, who develop realistically and organically. Ample magic, ample history, and an undulating timeline have ensnared me completely. I am in love, yet again, and as always.


Of course coffee has to have its own category, because my caffeine consumption is truly ridiculous. 
Beverages // My most-ordered drinks this season from any given location depended solely on the time of day. My morning compatriots were a hazelnut latte or a white peppermint mocha, whereas my afternoon latte was almost always gingerbread. No reason for any of those, really, it just happened that way most days.
Bean // When I made myself coffee, I clung tightly to (and heavily sniffed the bags of) a Seattle favorite, Caffe Vita Theo Blend, coarsely ground. This stuff is dark and rich enough to stand a spoon in (idioms: all systems go!), and powers me through my roughest 7:30 AM classes. It's strong as jet fuel, and I am ever grateful. 
Apparatus // To brew the aforementioned bean, I've been using my faithful Bodum Brazil Coffee Press. I have the absolutely enormous 34 oz. version, which is perfect for entertaining my equally exhausted comrades in arms. The coffee this thing produces is strong and smooth, and is worth the extra effort. Cleaning it could not be more of a bitch, however, especially in a dorm room. Be warned of coffee grounds lurking in your trash can for ages.

Here's to a year full of favorites, loves. Share with me. Grow with me. We've got this.



0 comments:

Post a Comment