Tea Party ♡


Photo is courtesy of the most excellent of roommates, Rachael Dowd 
Buongiorno, human folk!
  This perfectly grey Seattle afternoon, I couldn't help but gag at the absolute cliche that I am right now. Cable knit sweater, mug of tea, staring listlessly out into the heather-grey void as rain beats percussively against an unnecessarily open window. I know, smack me in the face if I absorb any more of this archetype. Tea, itself, is something that's only recently come into my universe. Until I was about sixteen, I shunned it as "nasty-ass leaf water", which it is, in theory.
  I existed in a household of tea-drinkers, so my renunciation of tea put me out of favor. My dad starts every day with green tea, my 13 year old brother drinks it at all temperatures, in all flavors, at any time of day, and my mother is a slave to passionfruit black tea. My epiphany came in the form of adding honey to peach tea, and I fell in love instantly. (To those of you who got that reference, I salute you).
  It's now a massive component in my daily life, and here I am to enumerate my favorites for you. Y'all know by now how much I love my categorical lists.

Leaf-Juices
Stash - Jasmine Blossom Green Tea // Jasmine is one of my favorite flowers, and I fantasize regularly about having it take over the entire edifice of my future brick-faced manor. Green tea still grosses me out severely (again, leaf-juice fallacy), and I usually can't drink it unless there's some other, more oppressive flavor going on. This particular tea is really easy to over-brew, and if you get too distracted and leave it to steep too long, it will turn really bitter. I brew this one really gently and really light, and I drink it without sweetener. It's obviously really floral, but it pairs really well with mild and sweet crackers.

Celestial Seasonings - Country Peach Passion // The tea that sparked the beginning of the end. Peaches and/or nectarines are the fruit of my soul. If I was a fruit, I would be a peach. I'm damned sure the nectar flows through my veins. I've tried other peach teas before this one, and for some reason they always add spices, which is bizarre to me. One does not typically spice peaches, so it's strange that they would even add them. This one is just like southern peaches and cream, but, obviously, without the cream. It's sweet and delicious without being overly tart either. I drink this hot, but it is equally as good iced. Add honey for extra glycogen in your brain and delight in your shriveled soul-cavity. Or don't. That's cool too.

Celestial Seasonings - Morning Thunder // This black tea contains Yerba mate, which is a famous powerhouse herb from South America. It's rich in antioxidants, and massively caffeine-dense. I am absolutely a coffee girl, and I'm sure a post about that will come up eventually. This tea, however is my "oh-shit-what-do-you-mean-that-paper-is-due-in-six-hours-I-cannot-believe-this-someone-just-murder-me-in-my-sleep-so-I-don't-have-to-face-my-failure" tea. I don't drink it in the morning, therefore. Just whenever I need an instant and vigorous energy boost. I heavily sweeten this, because mate can become bitter, and black tea has that characteristic "dark" taste. Pro-tip: a little bit of fruit juice and honey makes it delicious. You know that orange you've just got laying around conveniently? Squeeze a little of his innards into this tea and you'll be delighted.

Yogi Tea - Green Tea Kombucha // Lex what are you even doing you don't like green tea why do you drink it so much get control of your life. I know, accusatory italics, I know. This is another situation in which the green tea does not taste like green tea. This yummy Kombucha tea also has spearmint, passionfruit, and plum, which is delicious in so many ways. it's very sweet, so I don't add any honey or agave to it. The concept of a 'body detox' makes me cringe, but this tea really does feel like you're refreshing yourself after you drink it. This tea is nice to have around lunch time. Not only because it pairs well with that spinach wrap you're forcing yourself to eat, it seems to prevent that tummy bloat with some sort of devil-magic. All around A+ for this one.

Yogi Tea - Honey Lemon Throat Comfort // I happen to have a weak and generally crappy immune system, so I get some sort of cold or flu at least five times a year. The second most annoying symptom of a cold or flu is the scratchy, aggravated post-nasal drip stage. Second only to the suffocating nasal mucous stage, of course. When I'm not popping cough drops like a rave hooligan, I am chugging this stuff. It has a nice taste (assuming that you can still taste), with lemon being accompanied by peppermint and cherry bark. It doesn't need sweetening, but adding honey anyway could help you out, as honey is antimicrobial and soothing to your poor, lacerated esophagus.

Receptacles
  The cute mug pictured is the 222 Fifth Spring Botanical Fine China cup. I bought mine at Marshall's in a set of two back home in California. These are my standard tea/coffee mugs, mostly because they're beautiful. I found them on eBay at this link here yes right here just for you bunnies.
  I almost never make an entire pot of tea, but when I do, I brew it in my Teavana Rondo Teapot with Stainless Steel Handle. It looks like they don't sell this at Teavana anymore, which is unpleasant. I'm sure you could find it on Amazon though, with enough hunting.

Sweeteners
  My go-to sweetener is plain old honey, in any generic brand. Bear-shaped bottle preferred for cuteness. However, I've also gotten really cozy with Wholsome Sweeteners Inc. Blue Agave Nectar, that I pick up at Trader Joe's or QFC. This stuff is also really good on buttered toast and over oatmeal with brown sugar. Clearly I am a great cook, guys. Wife me up right away.
  If, for some reason, I'm not feeling the liquid sweetener, I will dump half a packet of a Truvia Stevia Sweetener Packet in there. Just as good, but an entire packet is a little bit too intense for my taste. To each his own, though. If you're feeling it, dump the whole thing in there, go crazy. I support you.

Chug a cup for me, y'all. A toast to leaf-juice!
love, lex

0 comments:

Post a Comment