Seattle Eats // October 2014


Greetings, compadres.

Oh, man. It's been a while, I know. Forgive me. When I dive headfirst into textbooks, I go hard: balls-to-the-wall, never-surfacing, drowning-in-case-studies hard. I'm on the upswing, though, kids. If you want to know what I've been doing when I'm not trying to soak up Criminal Law through my pores, press on.
It's food. That thing I've been doing? It's pretty much always food. My mother accused me scathingly of leaving home just for the food here, and she is diddly-damn right. Here's a brief spotlight of the places I visited in the month of October.

Bauhaus Books and Coffee

I am a sucker for wood paneled, musty old libraries. I am a sucker for shiny chrome coffee bars and doughnuts. This place is, as you might expect, my paradise. The coffee is, as advertised on their signs, strong as all hell. If you're looking for a latte that will lift your spirits and spike your adrenaline to the spires of Tar Valon, this is the place for you. My favorite lattes oscillate between Pumpkin Spice and Hazelnut, and I can't resist a doughnut under any circumstances. The chocolate croissant is a fierce competitor for my affections, though. 

Bonus points: wi-fi, good music, and plenty of space to spread your amazingly tedious research papers and have an existential crisis. 

Where? Pine and Crawford


Skillet Diner

My kingdom for a breakfast diner. My kingdom for chilaquiles. I have a certain fondness for this place, since it was the first place at which my parents and I ate when I came to Seattle for the first time to be sure that this was the place for me. Clearly, it was, and I would be lying if this place didn't partly seal the deal. It gets very busy, very fast, but it is worth any wait. The staff are universally cute and bedecked in flannel. They have an enormous amount of vegan and gluten free options. They have chilaquiles that have offered me a pretty ridiculous, if not spiritual experience. The mike's scramble changes by the day, also, which keeps you on your toes and ever-hungry. ONE LAST THING: the cinnamon roll. I'll let you see for yourself.

Where? 16th and Union


Octo Sushi

Do I even need to tell you about how much I love sushi? Are we not but a drop in the limitless ocean? Is the ocean not but a multitude of drops? (David Mitchell, I salute you.) Let me tell you right now that this place is amazing. I know, I know, the ID has an enormous amount of sushi for cheap. But am I one to prowl around after dark looking for spicy tuna? (Yes. I am. But not these days.) If you're looking to stay on capitol hill, this is what you want. Happy hour is your best friend. Fourteen total pieces of sushi and fried calamari for under $25? I stumble out of Octo fat and happy every time, and it's safe to say that it's the first stop on the path to my affections.

Where? 12th avenue





0 comments:

Post a Comment