Color Block // Zaffre

Shalom, buttercups.

This post is a double whammy. It's the first in my Color Block series, which spotlights an unusual, unconventional color palette in one way or another. It is also the first post in my Airport series. My philosophy is thus: since flying is so unpleasant and terrifying, it is my mission to be the most fabulous, well-kept passenger on that Boeing 737 at all costs. I get more done-up for the airport than I do for a wedding, so all of the Airport Series looks will be extravagant and ornate. This Color Block premier features one of my personal favorites, Zaffre. Here's a profile on this shade.
Hex Number: #0014A8
Snapshot to the right.
Zaffre is a close cousin to Cobalt Blue.

The Outfit

This look was the perfect transition from the muggy, humid California to the crisp, autumnal chill of Washington. The solid colors were easy as hell to pull off, and the white leather precedes the promiscuity the crop top. Did I get stares from the elderly? Yes. Was it worth it? Hell yes. I also discovered that the narrow, high collar balances my narrow shoulders with my wide hips in a delightful way. Any other bottom-drawn persons out there should investigate high, narrow collars as well. It does mighty fine things for the figure, and adds a delicateness to the frame.

Crop Top - H&M
Maxi Skirt - Charlotte Russe
Necklace - Charlotte Russe
Ankle Boots (not pictured oops) - Forever 21



The Makeup


This makeup is electric and daring, and I am obsessed with it. A simple, dark brown smokey eye base is slashed with a deadly sharp, metallic blue wing. Here's how I did it.
On the lid - Maybelline Color Sensational Cream Shadow in Bad to the Bronze
Inner Corner - Mally Beauty Shadow Stick in Firework
Crease - Elf Studio Matte Eye Shadow in Pebble
Liquid Liner - NYX Studio Liquid Liner in Extreme Blue


The Nails

In continuity with the eyeliner, I decided to slap on two coats of Essie's Butler Please. This color and I have a history. I tried Maybelline's Blue Bombshell, I tried Nails Inc. Baker Street, and yet none of them have quite the opacity and vibrancy of this one. I love it to death, and it looks rather striking on my claws as I clutch sleepily to a half-drained macchiato, if I do say so myself.
I found that it sharply contrasts the yellow/olive tones in my skin, so if you and I are similarly complected, hop right on this blue polish trend. I know, I had my reservations.
But that's weird, I said.
But it'll look like you have gangrene, I said.
It will not. It pairs up so nicely with blush and bronze tones, and sits starkly against clothing pieces and jewelry based in gold. Purple gets all the credit for being a royal color, but I petition that vibrant, electric blues take the throne for a while.





More of these to come, kids.
love, lex

0 comments:

Post a Comment