All about my new haircut! ♡



Hi there noodles!
I'm not expecting you to be as shocked as everyone else in my life was, but I cut my hair!
I was bombarded so fiercely with dude what the hell why would you do that what is the matter with you are you high what have you done?! And I have gotten used to the "noncommittal shrug and eyebrow thing" reply. My hair was annoying me, so I cut it off. What more is there to say? I scoured the internet for a couple of hours, made an appointment, and went in the following day. Impulsiveness gets me in a lot of trouble, but I'm fairly sure that this was the best decision I have ever made.

I have never gotten my hair professionally cut until this moment, so I was putting all my faith in someone who wasn't my mom or myself, which was terrifying. Welcome to adulthood, though, right?

The Pre-Cut Disaster
My hair before I cut it short had been kept very long for a very long time. It had also endured years of cycles of black dye and bleach, and a long-gone assault with flat irons that I have vowed never to touch again. It was dead as hell, and the curls themselves were generally refusing to bind well at all, or if they did, they did not last. Here are some snapshots of the carnage.


 I know what you're thinking, accusatory italics: But Lex that looks fine! That looks great! That doesn't look bad at all! What are you bitching about?
Well, accusatory italics, it was rough and dead and a bitch to style, and I wanted it gone. That's that.

What I Asked For
I brought in an enormous amount of reference pictures that were basically along the lines of "slightly asymmetrical bob with a layered back, angled toward the face". That is exactly what my lovely stylist Whitney gave me.
Techniques Used / The Process
I'm no stylist myself, so I couldn't give as intricate an explanation as Whitney herself could, But I know that she used a technique called Channeling in order to take some of the weight out of my hair so it would settle better and lose some of its weird heavy flatness at the scalp. I went in with dry, un-styled hair, which as you saw previously was very long--somewhere around my ribcage--and very damaged. She cut the first two thirds of the length off dry, straight across, because it would make shampooing and conditioning easier, and why bother conditioning dead, nasty hair you're about to cut off anyway? After that, she began the shaping, which took about two hours. Luckily she is an absolute darling, and the time flew by.
Emotional Impact
I haven't had a single moment of haircut regret. I haven't hated my hair even for a second after this cut, which is a huge switch from having bitched about my hair every day for six years nearly. I'm thrilled with it and I intend to keep it, and perhaps, one day, even go shorter. As I typed those words I could practically feel my mother's soul leave her body. When I told her I cut my hair, she cried. A lot. Proof that other people are more attached to my hair than I am.

I will be uploading a shower and styling routine soon, so y'all can know just exactly what I use to get soapy and how I get my hair to do all that loopy shit. (Spoiler alert: not much. It just does that).

Wait for me with baited breath, dudes. And in the meantime, chop all your hair off. It's good for you.


love, lex

0 comments:

Post a Comment