Tokyo Milk Dark // La Vie La Mort


Hi there, gorgeous.

I decided to treat myself to an EDP today because hey, my birthday can last two months if I want it to, right? The Tokyo Milk fragrances haven't been a big part of my life, truly because I didn't know they existed until a few months ago. They bounced into my local Sephora slyly and without advertisement, and I didn't even bother heading over for a sniff. Today, though, I bothered. I regret nothing of it either, because I'm highly impressed by what I came out with.

I picked up their Eau de Parfum in No. 90 La Vie La Mort, which is part of their femme fatale collection. Could it be even farther up my alley? Conceivably not. The packaging is trim and angular, and black as pitch with a gunmetal cap. All the lettering and illustration on the bottle is done in white, which gives it a spooky, witch-den apothecary feel. It feels a little like taboo and contraband, and I'm loving it. At 1.6 fluid ounces (or 46 milliliters), this baby came in only at $36 USD. 
What the hell, only? That's nuts, Lex, get a hold of yourself.
I know, sassy italics, I know it seems like a large sum, but for such high quality composition, that price is on the low side. Take a breather, it's worth it. Here's why:

This romantic fragrance captivates with an intoxicating blend of blossoming, sweet flowers. White tuberose and jasmine are transformed by a touch of cardamom and hibiscus leaf to transcend beauty itself. Dare to pair this fragrance with a fresh, green scent or add a hint of citrus for an aromatic edge that will make you swoon. 
That's the scent profile according to Sephora, at least. I definitely think that the tuberose is the first thing you smell when you apply this to clean skin. It almost put me off until it dried after a minute or so, and that's when the cardamom came into my waiting nares. For some context, I've never been one for spicy fragrances at all: my go-to is Jo Malone Blackberry and Bay. This, however, completely captivated me. The cardamom adds an element of sultriness that was sweet, but not overwhelmingly so. It paired with the tuberose in an enchanting, adult kind of way. By then I was sold already, but then I was surprised with the dry-down to my favorite flora, jasmine. The jasmine in this scent takes the stage from the tuberose after about a half hour, and though it retains the warmth of the cardamom, it's ever so slightly more vegetal and less heady. When it dries down entirely, all that remains is the jasmine and the ghost of cardamom past. It also claims to incorporate hibiscus flower, but I truly have no idea what hibiscus flower smells like. I assume that's what contributes to the vegetal transition between the tuberose fore-notes and jasmine dry-down.


Lasting Power

As the Eau de Parfum implies, this stuff doesn't mess around. It has an oil base, so it permeates the skin and lasts exponentially longer than your standard Eau de Toilette. I found that the initial level of intensity lasted on me for two hours, and lingered pleasantly at medium intensity for three hours to follow, with no touch-ups. That was one spray on my throat, and it enveloped me gently so that whenever I passed, it followed behind me, but not in a noxious gas sort of way. It earned me a few compliments even as I meandered through the store, which sealed the deal for me.

Imagery

This perfume brings a lot of things up for me, in the best way possible. My childhood home was all but overrun with jasmine flowers, and I immediately picture the way the smell of the blossoms carried on an autumn breeze. 
The tuberose offers a maturity to the fragrance, and a sensuality that I've come to love. I will always pair roses with the concept of lingerie in jewel tones: how perfectly do white roses accompany emerald green silks?
The cardamom really cements this into my mind as an autumn/winter fragrance. The spiciness feels all at once like home and like a distant dream. I'm not sure if it's just me, but scents like this pair so well with cable knit and rich leather, I think.

I find myself once again infatuated. Have you explored this collection? Let me know!


0 comments:

Post a Comment