Red Lipstick Mini-Favorites


Bienvenue, honey bee.

Once you go red, you spend all your money in Sephora and cry. I'm living proof of this phenomenon. I managed to pry the superfluous out of my own gnarled witch-hands and edit my favorite reds down to just three to streamline the process and filter old, dried-up favorites out of the mix. I've determined that I want to be painted up in red until my final dying breath, and even after then if I can. Here's a spotlight on my ride-or-die reds.


The Lineup

From Left to Right
Covergirl Lipstick in 305 Hot Passion // This little guy has served me so well throughout the years. The formula is exquisite: it doesn't dry caked up on my lips, doesn't feather, and maintains its vibrancy for as long as it's on. It's relatively low-transfer, and has lasted through an entire meal and drinks, barely budging. It's a true neutral red, with very little blue or orange, so I've found it looks stunning and flattering on all sorts of skin tones and hues. I've gotten many a helpless victim dear friend addicted to this formula. It's my go-to War Bonds Girl kind of color. I'd even stretch as far as saying it's my trademark red.
Rimmel London Show Off Lip Lacquer in Big Bang // When I'm looking for something glossy and mind-blowingly bright, this one takes the cake. It's clearly the most vivid of the three you see above, so when I'm trying to blind an airplane pilot or frighten a heckler at the bus stop, this is the one I go for. The downside is that it's kind of a pain in the ass to apply, since it's a liquid formula with a doefoot applicator. It can get all over the place, too, and dries a bit patchy if you don't keep up with it. The pigmentation is worth the retouching, though.
Urban Decay Revolution Pulp Fiction Lipstick in Mrs. Mia Wallace // Much to my dismay, I smushed a little of this into the cap on accident, and I've been trying desperately to salvage that tiny bit from the interior of the lid. First lesson, kids, roll this all the way back down before you put the cap on. Onto the good stuff: I have never owned a red quite like this. You'll get to see exactly why it's so unique in a look post due this week. This blue-toned red does not mess around. It has a depth and darkness to it that's somehow given by the red, not the blue, landing it more in the "congealed blood" category rather than the "deep berry" category. The contrast against your teeth has the most beautiful whitening effect, and it has this magical effect on the skin, making it look smooth and illuminated. I don't know how that happens, but I've seen it with my own eyes. The formula is thick and semi-matte. It drags on the lips when applied from the bullet, though, due to the binding agents making the formula a little sticky. Apply with a brush if that bugs you. This is my red for special occasions, where I want my makeup to blatantly display my poisonous color palette and the obscene price I paid for my lip products at the same time.

Give me suggestions. I am ever expanding my collection (as this is only about 10% of it...seriously) and I can guarantee that this won't be the last you see of my red lip hoard.


0 comments:

Post a Comment